EFFECTIVE DATE: November 1, 2018
By visiting the Site, or using any of our Services, you agree that your personal information will be handled as described in this Policy. Your use of our Site or Services, and any dispute over privacy, is subject to this Policy and our User Agreement, including its applicable limitations on damages and the resolution of disputes. The Humanly User Agreement is incorporated by reference into this Policy.
Our goal is to provide a platform for people who want to share their personal information to create collective knowledge about the human experience of living with cancer. Our success in achieving this goal depends on a shared belief in our Community Guidelines. Being open about how one’s life has been impacted by cancer is not for everyone, and we strive, with full transparency, to outline the benefits and risks of being part of this sharing site, including those related to privacy.
Contributors should be aware that when they use a story recording feature of our Site, the information you share will be recorded and will be used by Humanly to publish content on the Site in audio or written form. In addition, published content may be shared by users through social media channels or email.
The Information We Collect About You
We collect information about you directly from you, as well as automatically through your use of our Site or Services.
Information We Collect Directly From You
The type of information that we collect from you depends on your interaction with our Site and Services. For example, the contributor area includes publishing areas, such as story recording and contributor profile areas, where contributors may post audio, video, or written messages (“User Submissions”). In order to make a User Submission, or to open up an account on the Site, you will need to provide us the following information:
• Name, as collected as part of a User Submission;
• Email address, as collected as part of a User submission;
• Password, as collected as part of a User submission.
You can also choose to provide us the following information:
• Mailing address, as collected via email, forms, or private message as part of potential programs such as t-shirt giveaways and Humanly events;
• City and state, as collected as part of a User Submission;
• Information about your indication and stage;
• Any of the above or other information entered as free text;
• Biographic and demographic information, e.g. biography, gender, age, location (city, state/province, and country);
• Treatment and symptom information, e.g. treatment options, side effects (severity and duration);
• Individual and aggregated structured survey responses;
• Non-identifying information you provide via free text fields, e.g., a story submission; and
• Connections to other people on the Site, e.g. invited care team members, mentors, feeds, subscriptions.
Information We Collect Automatically
We automatically collect information about your use of our Site or Services through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies. Such data may include your IP address, the URL of the websites you visited before and after you visited our Site, the type of browser you are using, your Internet Service Provider, what pages in our Site you visit, what links you click on, date and time of your visit and duration, and whether you open email communications we send to you. We may combine this information with other information that we have collected about you, including, where applicable, your user name, name, and other personal information. For more information about the information that we collect about you automatically, please see the section “Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms” below.
How We Use Your Information
We use your information, including your personal information, for the following purposes:
• To provide our Services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our Services, to respond to your inquiries, and for other customer service purposes.
• To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, offer personalized help and suggestions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the Site or our Services.
• For marketing and promotional purposes. For example, we may use your information, such as your email address, to send you news and newsletters, special offers, and promotions, or to otherwise contact you about products or information we think may interest you. We also use the information that we learn about you to assist us in advertising our Services on third party websites and to assist us in evaluating the success of our advertising campaigns in various platforms.
User Submissions will be posted only with your first name. Humanly may de-identify the information that we collect about you, such that it no longer contains any identifying elements. In addition, Humanly may aggregate or statistically analyze information that we collect, including from more than one user. We may share aggregate or de-identified information about users with third parties for marketing, advertising, research or similar purposes.
In addition, we may use information we collect for the following purposes:
• Authentication. We use information stored in cookies on your device to indicate that you have submitted content to the Humanly community and to enable you to use certain portions of our Site.
• Understand Our Users. We use information to analyze trends, track users' movements around the Site, and gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. This provides us with the ability to determine aggregate information about our user base and usage patterns. Understanding how people use our Site allows us to make the Site better for everybody.
• Administer Site. We use information to help administer the Site and visitors’ use of the Site. We may, in some circumstances, need to review this information in combination with other information to identify and resolve issues for individual users.
We do not sell or provide your information to third parties for advertising or marketing purposes.
How We Share Your Information
We may share your information, including personal information, as follows:
• The Community. Contributors share personal information and other information through User Submissions on the Site. By sharing such information, others can learn from it. In addition, if you elect to send one of our pre-defined responses to a contributor, we will share that response anonymously with the contributor. If you send a private response to a contributor, we will not post that response on our Site, but we will share with the contributor aggregated, anonymized data about your response (e.g., we will include it in the total number of responses sent to the contributor periodically).
• Humanly Affiliates. We share the personal information you provide within the Immunomedics, Inc. group of companies, both to improve our services and to conduct our own research.
• Vendors. We also contract with various service providers for business and technical services like email delivery, site hosting, marketing, help desk support and others in furtherance of the operation of the Site.
• To Protect Us and Others. Humanly may share or disclose a user’s data where required to comply with lawful requests from public authorities, including for national security or law enforcement requests, to comply with legal process, to resolve disputes, to enforce our agreements (including this Policy and our User Agreement), or if in our reasonable discretion use is necessary to protect our legal rights or to protect third parties. In addition, Humanly may share or disclose a user’s data for the purposes of adverse event reporting.
• Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may share aggregate or de-identified information as described in this Policy, which includes sharing such information about responses to User Submissions with the contributors of those submissions.
• Corporate Transactions. In the event of a merger, acquisition, asset sale, bankruptcy proceeding, or similar transaction with another company, Humanly may transfer your information to that company.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your web browser for record-keeping purposes. Some cookies allow us to make it easier for you to navigate our Site and Services, while others are used to enable a faster log-in process or to allow us to track your activities at our Site and Service. There are two types of cookies: session and persistent cookies.
• Session Cookies. Session cookies exist only during an online session. They disappear from your computer when you close your browser or turn off your computer. We use session cookies to allow our systems to uniquely identify you during a session or while you are logged into the Site.
• Persistent Cookies. Persistent cookies remain on your computer after you have closed your browser or turned off your computer. We use persistent cookies to track aggregate and statistical information about user activity.
Disabling Cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Visitors to our Site who disable cookies will be able to browse certain areas of the Site, but some features may not function.
Clear GIFs, pixel tags and other technologies
Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs (a.k.a. web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our Site to, among other things, track the activities of Site visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about Site usage. We and our third party service providers also use clear images in HTML e-mails to our customers, to help us track e-mail response rates, identify when our e-mails are viewed, and track whether our e-mails are forwarded.
Currently, our systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests. You may, however, disable certain tracking as discussed in this Policy (e.g., by disabling cookies); you also may opt-out of targeted advertising by following the instructions in the Third Party Ad Network section below.
Third Party Analytics
Cross Device and Browser Use
We and our third party service providers may use the information that we collect about you (whether directly from you from our website, through your device(s), or from a third party) to help us and our third party service providers identify other devices that you use (e.g., a mobile phone, tablet, other computer). We, and our third party service providers, also may use the cross-device and browser tracking and other information we learn about you to serve targeted advertising on your devices and to send you emails. To opt-out of cross-device and browser advertising, you may follow the instructions set forth in the Third Party Ad Networks section below. Please note: if you opt out of these targeted advertising cookies, your opt-out will be specific to the web browser or mobile device from which you accessed the opt-out. If you use multiple devices or browsers, you will need to opt out of each browser or device that you use.
Third-Party Ad Networks
Users in the United States may opt out of many third-party ad networks. For example, you may go to the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) Consumer Choice Page for information about opting out of interest-based advertising and your choices regarding having information used by DAA companies. You may also go to the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) Consumer Opt-Out Page for information about opting out of interest-based advertising and your choices regarding having information used by NAI members.
Opting out from one or more companies listed on the DAA Consumer Choice Page or the NAI Consumer Opt-Out Page will opt you out from those companies’ delivery of interest-based content or ads to you, but it does not mean you will no longer receive any advertising through our Site or on other websites. You may continue to receive advertisements, for example, based on the particular website that you are viewing (i.e., contextually based ads). Also, if your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you opt out on the DAA or NAI websites, your opt out may not be effective. Additional information is available on the DAA’s website at www.aboutads.info and the NAI’s website at www.networkadvertising.org.
We may disclose certain information (such as your email address) to third parties, such as Facebook (more information on Facebook’s related policies is available here and here), or Twitter (more information on Twitter's related policies is available here), so that we can better target ads and content to our users, and others with similar interests on these third parties’ platforms or networks. We may also work with third-party ad networks and marketing platforms that enable us and other participants to target ads to custom audiences submitted by us and others.
Our Site and Services may contain links to third-party websites. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Policy, but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party websites. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third party websites.
Third Party Plug-ins and Widgets
We may also use certain third party applications and widgets to operate features of our Sites, such as allowing users to share User Submissions to social media channels or email. Widgets are displayed on our Sites, but are hosted by the third party identified in the widget.
Security of My Personal Information
We have implemented commercially reasonable precautions to protect the information we collect from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware that despite these measures, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security.
Access To My Personal Information
You may modify personal information that you have submitted by emailing us or logging into your account and updating your profile information. Please note that copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the Site for a period of time.
What Choices Do I Have Regarding Use of My Personal Information?
We may send periodic promotional or informational emails to you. You may opt-out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the e-mail. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt-out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you e-mails about your account or any Services you have requested or received from us.
Children Under 13
Our Services are not designed for children under 13. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete such information from our systems.
If you have questions about the privacy aspects of our Services or would like to make a complaint, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to this Policy
This Policy is current as of the Effective Date set forth above. We may change this Policy from time to time, so please be sure to check back periodically. We will post any changes to this Policy on our Site, at https://ourstory.livehumanly.com/terms. If we make any changes to this Policy that materially affect our practices with regard to the personal information we have previously collected from you, we will endeavor to provide you with notice in advance of such change by highlighting the change on our Site.